Sunrise is always a special time of day, but without a doubt desert sunrise is one of the most spectacular events. Mojave desert in south western USA is easily accessible place to experience desert landscapes and take beautiful desert landscape pictures. Las Vegas is in Mojave desert and so is lake Mead and Hoover Dam. So if you happen to be in Vegas, try something different – get up early and drive out of the city, the views will be unforgettable. Another big city close to Mojave desert is Los Angeles. It is only couple of hours away from such places as Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms.
One of the advantages of being in the desert is of course almost 100% guarantee of clear skies. Sunrise is more tricky to catch in places where there are clouds, fog, tall buildings or trees. Vast open space of the desert allows for perfect desert sunrise viewing. This time of day is also very desirable in landscape photography. During desert sunrise the air is clear, usually there is no wind and colors are brilliant.
1. At sunrise aim camera directly at sun for dramatic effect.
2. Use polarizing filter to reduce glare and enhance skies.
3. Remember to look around, you can find beautiful sunrise scene everywhere.
4. Try various aperture/shutter speeds combos.
5. Keep the lens clean and free of dust, particles and dew.
6. Colors change fast at sunrise, so take many photos and choose the best later.
7. Pay attention to light and shadows, remember to experiment.
08.10.2018 by FPImages